The academic year 2016-2017 Carolina Global Photo Competition, which is open to all students, faculty, alumni and staff of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, showcases Carolina’s global activity, educational opportunities, research and service work.
Each photographer may submit up to three photos. Photos may represent any world region and there is no restriction on the period in which the photograph was taken. Entries will be judged on artistic merit and context. Special consideration will be given to images that are distinctive and embrace new perspectives.
Grand prizes will be awarded to first, second and third place. Prizes include a grand prize, gift certificates to local restaurants and 20×30 poster prints.
A Chancellor’s Choice will be awarded to a photo the Chancellor finds globally relevant and distinctive.
Regional spotlights will be selected by each Area Studies Center and departmental unit within the FedEx Global Education Center representing their mission, vision, academic focus and/or world area.
Thematic spotlights will be awarded for photos that incorporate the following themes:
Food for All: Local and Global Perspectives
- The University will examine food and food studies as its 2015-2017 university-wide academic theme. “Food for All: Local and Global Perspectives” will challenge all areas of the University to examine wide-ranging topics, including food cultures and nutrition, food security, world hunger, agricultural economics, resource management, sustainable development, climate change and international trade. Submit photos that further explore this topic and embrace the new campus-wide theme.
Global Perspectives Within the U.S.
- Across the U.S., there are signs of our interconnected world and multicultural society. This aspect of our country can be experienced in immigrant communities in cities across the country, through Southern cooking traditions influenced by African culture and in the increased diversity of languages in the States. What signs of global influence in the United States do you find beautiful, significant or intriguing?
- Educational experiences happen both inside and outside of the classroom, during volunteer work, field research and at any moment in our daily lives. Do you have a photograph that demonstrates a particularly illuminating experience?
- Movement in all forms surrounds us: people commute to work, water trickles down a waterfall, a train speeds along the tracks. Take a picture that captures movement around the world.
- Got that perfect shot of the sunset over the Zuytdorp Cliffs of Australia or a vista of the Bolivian Salt Flats? Submit your best photo that captures the breathtaking awe of nature you experienced during your travels.
A New Take on an Old Landmark
- Images of such landmarks as the Eiffel Tower, the Great Wall of China, the Sydney Opera House and the Gateway of India are recognizable around the world. What’s your new perspective on these historical places and how can they be seen through a “different lens”?
- Demonstrated Carolina pride while you were abroad? Heels around-the-world pictures are encouraged, whether you found a UNC blue sky in Rome or wore your favorite Carolina t-shirt for your trek up Machu Picchu.
The Carolina Global Photography Competition is a collaboration of the following UNC Departments and Centers:
- African Studies Center
- Carolina Asia Center
- Carolina Center for the Study of the Middle East and Muslim Civilizations
- Center for European Studies
- Center for Global Initiatives
- Diplomat in Residence
- Center for Slavic, Eurasian and East European Studies
- Institute for the Study of the Americas
- Curriculum in Global Studies
- International Student and Scholar Services
- Global Research Institute and the Food Theme Steering Committee
- Study Abroad Office
- Global Relations