Zayed University, a premier university in the United Arab Emirates, is an innovative institution based on an international model of higher education. With over 875 faculty and staff serving approximately 7000 undergraduate and 700 graduate students on its campuses in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, the University prepares graduates to become leaders in government, business, civil society, and family life. The University expects its graduates to be fully bilingual in English and Arabic, proficient in the use of computing technology, and strong in quantitative and research skills. English is the primary language of instruction and administration.
Zayed University is fully accredited by the Middle States Commission for Higher Education in the U.S.
The United Arab Emirates is a progressive country, known for its high standard of living, its openness to people of other nationalities and provides a safe, family-friendly environment.
The Dean will have a unique opportunity to work with colleagues and stakeholders to transform the College of Arts and Sciences into the College of Liberal Arts and Sustainability Sciences, thereby aligning the college with the priorities of the United Arab Emirates and the region. It is expected that this new college will feature strong, innovative interdisciplinary thinking, teaching and research, in both traditional disciplines and in emerging ones. Inclusion of social and environmental innovation and entrepreneurship programs will be a distinguishing feature of the College.
The Dean provides leadership and management for the largest college in the University and will have responsibility for the campuses in both Abu Dhabi and Dubai. The college currently includes the departments of Art & Design, Humanities and Social Sciences and Natural Science and Public Health. However, recent actions have resulted in a decision to move the Department of Art and Design into a new college. Building upon the foundation of existing programs and working in collaboration with other University leaders, the Dean will lead creation of this new College of Liberal Arts and Sustainability Sciences, strengthening existing programs, as well as implementing new initiatives. In addition to leading the development and administration of the College’s academic programs, the Dean is responsible for managing and allocating financial resources; encouraging excellent teaching, scholarship and research; supporting faculty and staff development; and, developing strong relationships with other Colleges and the external community.
- Ph.D. degree, from an accredited university, in one of the humanities, social or natural sciences disciplines.
- Qualifications for appointment at Associate or Full Professor rank in one of the college’s departments.
- Five years of experience in academic administration, at the level of Department Chair or above, including at least two years as a Dean or Associate Dean, in a Western-type educational environment.
- Demonstrated success as a teacher and scholar in a recognized college or university.
- Experience in a learning outcomes-based, assessment-rich, educational institution.
- Evidence of leadership in the development of new programs that meet international standards and success in building teamwork and a shared vision.
- Ability to work with faculty from diverse cultures and nationalities and across disciplinary lines.
- Patience and tolerance for ambiguity and change.
- International experience is preferred.
The University’s benefits package is highly attractive, with a competitive salary, free of tax in the U.A.E., housing, a furniture allowance, annual vacation airline tickets for the employee and immediate family, educational subsidies for children and healthcare is provided to the employee and sponsored family members.
- Please visit our website (http://www.zu.ac.ae) and click on “Employment,” to be directed to the recruitment website. In addition to completing the online application form, attach a cover letter, a current CV, a statement of teaching philosophy, a statement of scholarly interests, particularly as they might apply to the Middle East and how they might involve students and the names and contact details of three professional references.
- Should you wish to nominate or recommend a candidate for this position, please send your letter of nomination or recommendation, attaching the candidate’s CV (Provost@zu.ac.ae).
- Should you have any questions related to this advertisement, please do not hesitate to contact us (Provost@zu.ac.ae).
Review Process: Applications will be reviewed as they are received and until the position is filled. Please note that we are looking to fill the position as soon as possible.