Position Focus: Responsible for executing the outreach program under the federal funded T6 grants for African and Middle East Studies including planning the programs and staffing within the guidelines of the grants, managing the resources within the grant budgets and supervising day to day activities including hiring necessary contractors and speakers, and providing grant and other reports. Harness Yale’s Africa and Middle East focused educational resources through strong outreach programming to meet needs of target client groups (educators K-16, teacher trainees, business, media and general public) while fulfilling donors’ objectives and partner and collaborator expectations. Manages two targeted outreach programs. Develops, negotiates and manages partnerships and collaborations with MacMillan and other Yale units and external groups as appropriate. Identifies, resources and deploys appropriate expertise for high quality programming. Coordinate and ensures administrative support, publicity, and stewardship. Oversees the execution of the program, meeting annual goals and programmatic objectives. Assumes primary accountability for disseminating and publishing all program information to create public awareness and support of the program. Works closely with Council Chairs and Program Managers as well as other colleagues at Yale and outside to develop and implement program plans. Cultivates and ensures community partnerships and collaborations to execute the program successfully. Identifies metrics, providing for measurements of grant success for grant reporting and internal sources. Manages the program’s operating budget within the context of both grants to maximize their effectiveness and provide efficient procedures. Works closely with the grantee Program Managers to develop the administrative infrastructure of the program. Manages programmatic functions, including hiring, supervision of contractors and other experts related to the outreach programs. Manages information systems, facilities, and space needs for the outreach programs. Tracks program activities and regularly informs leadership of progress. Recommends adjustments, changes or additions based on full knowledge of missions, goals, and objectives. Initiates, designs, and manages the compilation of program communications. Contributes to the development and assists in the management of content on the program’s website and monitors all changes and additions to the editorial content.
Department URL Address: Click here for more information
Principal Responsibilities 1. Oversees the advancement and growth of the program. Gives direction and leadership supporting the philosophy, mission, strategy, and annual goals and objectives. Assumes primary accountability for disseminating and publishing all program information to create public awareness and support of the program.
2. Works closely with leadership, internal and external colleagues, and community residents to further develop and implement strategic plans.
3. Identifies, solicits, and cultivates community partnerships and collaborations to assist in the development and growth of the program. Develops the metrics to identify and measure the success of the program. Responsible for measurements of grant success and related evaluation.
4. Assists in identifying and evaluating potential future funding sources, and contributes to the submission of grants and contracts supporting the program, including the annual submission and writing of all content areas and budgetary sections of grant applications. Develops and manages the program’s operating budget.
5. Develops the administrative infrastructure of the program. Manages human resource and administrative functions of the program, including staffing and hiring, supervision, performance development, counseling and discipline, if warranted. Oversees and manages information systems, facilities, and space needs.
6. Investigates, identifies, implements, and oversees the maintenance of systems to gather, track, and report information to support the initiatives of the program. Tracks all program activities and regularly informs leadership of progress on each initiative. Recommends structural or programmatic adjustments, changes or additions based on full knowledge of missions, goals, and objectives.
7. Initiates, designs, and manages the compilation of program communications; identifying outreach potential, and promoting philanthropic and collaborative support of the program. Contributes to the development and assists in the management of content on the program’s website and monitors all changes and additions to the editorial content.
8. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience: Minimum requirement of Bachelor’s degree in a related field and five years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills. Ability to work harmoniously with faculty, administrators, students, teachers, journalists, business people and other University offices and external organizations in the U.S. and overseas.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Ability to prioritize work and manage varied projects with multiple deadlines and sources of expertise, varied staffing arrangements and funding sources.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Excellent presentation skills. High level written and communication skills in English. Preferred: high level written and communication skills in another world language.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Computer skills: proficiency in spreadsheets and word processing. Familiarity with professional uses of social networking software and internet training tools. Prefer familiarity with shared storage and filing systems such as BOX.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Master’s degree in a related field and at least two years in a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Record of innovation and entrepreneurship, particularly in educational settings. Prior experience in education or working in development of educational programs in the areas of African and Middle East studies.
Background Check Requirements All External candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visitwww.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.