A permanent (tenure) position of Associate Professor in modern Arabic language and culture is available at the Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages, University of Oslo.
The holder of the position is expected to initiate and lead research, to supervise PhD and MA candidates, to participate in teaching, exam setting and evaluation at all levels, and to carry out administrative duties in accordance with the needs of the Department. The successful candidate will play a central role in further development of high-quality research and teaching in Middle East Studies at the Department in collaboration with colleagues, and is expected to take active part in the activities at the Department´s Centre for Islamic and Middle East Studies.
•PhD or equivalent academic qualifications with a specialization in Arabic sociolinguistics, applied linguistics, discourse analysis, translation studies, or related fields of research
•Advanced level of linguistic competence in Arabic and English
•Pedagogical skills and a willingness to take active part in academic leadership and administration, see How to document your pedagogical skills
•Personal suitability and motivation for the position
The following qualifications will be taken into account in the assessment of the applicants:
• Academic qualifications and academic production with a focus primarily on modern Arabic language and culture; with an emphasis on works published within the last 5 years. Originality and innovative thinking are preferred to quantity
• International peer-reviewed publications
• Potential to contribute to the long-term development of the academic and research environment at the department
• Positive results in external fund raising
• Pedagogical qualifications and ability to inspire students
• Interest, ability and/or experience in management and administration
• Collaborative skills and willingness to initiate joint projects
• Experience with collaboration across established academic disciplines, and ability to build international networks
• Communication and public outreach skills
In the assessment of the qualified candidates all criteria listed above will be explicitly addressed and assessed. The quality of published academic work, development potential and breadth of intellectual/academic interest will be prioritized in this order.
Applicants who at the time of appointment cannot document basic teaching qualifications will be required to obtain such qualifications within a two year period. The teaching language is normally Norwegian at the bachelor level, while the Master studies programme option in Middle East Studies is conducted in English. On the appointment of a candidate who is not fluent in Norwegian, Swedish or Danish, the appointee will be expected within two years to learn sufficient Norwegian to be able to participate actively in all functions the position may involve.
Full announcement: http://uio.easycruit.com/vacancy/1513053/62042?iso=no