- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in History of the Gulf and the Arabian Peninsula
Application closing date
- Salary for appointments at Lecturer level: £33,943 – 41,709 per annum Salary for appointments at Senior Lecturer level: £41,709 – £55,998 per annum
- Generous holiday allowances, flexible working, pension scheme and relocation package (if applicable).
- (Education & Research)
- College of Social Sciences and International Studies – Institute of Arabic and Islamic Studies
- We are a Russell Group university boasting a vibrant academic community with over 21,000 students. Ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world, 98% of our research is rated as being of international quality and focuses on some of the most fundamental issues facing the world today. We encourage proactive engagement with community partners, industry and business to enhance the impact of research and education and improve the employability of our students.
- We therefore particularly welcome applications from academic staff with strong connections and funded projects with community partners and business and as well as those who are involved in projects which develop impact.
- The Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies has the strongest REF2014 results of any Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies department in the UK, establishing Exeter as the leader in the field in terms of research quality, impact and environment. Our international profile as a pioneering and multidisciplinary Institute continues to grow.
- We are looking for a strong academic in History of the Gulf and the Arabian Peninsula to assist in the delivery of an exciting new strategy for Gulf Studies at Exeter. In this role you will contribute to further enhancing the research profile of the Centre for Gulf Studies and of the Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies, particularly in areas related or complementary to the history of the modern and contemporary Gulf and Arabian Peninsula.
- For a Lecturer post you will have:
- -A PhD or equivalent in Middle East Studies, History, Politics, Sociology, Anthropology, Gender Studies, Critical Studies or related fields and have an independent, internationally-recognised research programme in a relevant active field of research
- -A strong record in attracting funding for research, or a demonstrable potential to attract such funding
- -An active approach to inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary research
- -Enthusiasm for delivering high quality undergraduate and postgraduate programmes
- -A strong potential for involvement in projects which develop impact
- -(Highly desirable) Experience of fieldwork in the Gulf and/or the Arabian Peninsula
- -(Highly desirable) Linguistic proficiency in Arabic and/or other relevant languages.
- For a Senior Lecturer, in addition to the above, you will have:
- -A strong potential for research leadership
- -A track record in refereed publications and success in significant grant capture
- -Relationships with external organisations and funders/ and knowledge and experience of key sectors or business challenges
What we can offer you
- -Freedom (and the support) to pursue your intellectual interests and to work creatively across disciplines to produce internationally exciting research;
- -Support teams that understand the University wide research and teaching goals and partner with our academics accordingly
- -An Innovation, Impact and Business directorate that works closely with our academics providing specialist support for external engagement and development
- -Our Exeter Academic initiative supporting high performing academics to achieve their potential and develop their career
- -A beautiful campus set in the heart of stunning Devon
Please ensure you click here to read our Job Description and Person Specification for full details of this role.
- Informal enquiries can be made to Dr Marc Valeri, (01392 724027) or email
- . You may also wish to visit our web site at (
) for further details of the College.
- The University of Exeter is an equal opportunity employer which is ‘Positive about Disabled People’. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in the workforce.