Social and Human Sciences, Communication and Information, and Education
|Grade:||SC- Professional /NOA Level|
|Organizational Unit:||UNESCO Office in Beirut|
|Primary Location:||Beirut, Lebanon|
|Type of contract:||Service Contract|
|Deadline (midnight, Beirut time):||15 January 2016|
|Duration:||1 year with possibility of extension subject to resource availability and performance|
|Application to be sent to:||Beirut@unesco.org (Administration Unit)|
|ONLY NATIONALS ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION|
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
As part of the EU funded regional programme on the “Networks of Mediterranean Youth” (NETMED-Youth), the project will aim at mainstreaming youth issues and priorities across national decision-making and policy implementation in Lebanon by building the capacities of youth and youth organizations and promoting their active engagement in the development and operationalization of national policies and strategies on youth; ensuring that youth issues are adequately covered by national and regional media; and identifying workable models for improving youth access to employment and youth inclusion in different sectors. The project will also promote national and regional exchange of experiences and the cross-fertilization of tools and approaches.
II. Duties and requirements
Under the overall authority of the Director, UNESCO Office in Beirut and the supervision of concerned Programme specialists (SHS is the lead), the incumbent will provide technical assistance in the implementation of the project targeting youth in Lebanon.
In particular, the incumbent will:
1. Be responsible for the planning and implementation of the project in consultation with relevant programme staff and in close collaboration with national partners.
2. Monitor work plans and report on and oversee the evaluation of the programme activities, including the regular quarterly, ad-hoc reporting, mid-term and final evaluations.
3. Liaise with key youth stakeholders in Lebanon (youth-led and/or youth-focused and other civil society organizations, Government Officials, UN system agencies, donors, media, etc.), as well as with UNESCO staff at Headquarters and in other Field Offices in the region, to ensure effective planning, implementation and monitoring and the visibility of the project.
4. Ensure the outreach and participation of young men and women in all regions of the country especially among disadvantaged groups (e.g.: youth living in rural areas, youth with disabilities, youth who are part of displaced populations, etc.).
5. Coordinate knowledge production and dissemination efforts in the context of the aforementioned projects, especially with regard to policy and advocacy dimensions; studies on promising practices; and clearinghouse functions of UNESCO Office in Beirut.
6. Coordinate capacity development and sharing activities such as workshops, regional/sub-regional/national conferences, expert meetings, media events and other (i.e. usage of social media) through identifying relevant resource persons and approaches.
7. Attend meetings and participate in technical and working groups and meetings related to the Project and UNESCO’s response in Youth empowerment and participation in Lebanon, as and when delegated by the Director of the Regional Office.
8. Identify potential local partners within the UN family, CSOs, and private sector for joint programme/programming and expand and strengthen partnership with line ministries, institutes/universities and NGOs for the implementation of the Project and for the strengthening and networking in Lebanon. Identify prospective donors and actively participate in such meetings.
9. Prepare briefs as necessary on the Projects for the supporting donors and for internal use, based on country programme support and regional reports. Ensure timely availability and access to all key programme documents (global, regional, country) for government and technical partners, as well as for uploading onto the UNESCO Regional Office Internet and UNESCO intranet sites.
• Advanced university degree (or equivalent to Masters) in social, political, communication, information, or education sciences, gender studies, international development or in other fields related to the focus of the project.
WORK EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED)
• Two to four years of relevant professional experience in projects focused on, at least one of the three cited areas as below:
i) youth-related issues (e.g.: youth public policies, skills development and civic engagement),
ii) freedom of expression, press freedom and freedom of information-issues (e.g.: media coverage monitoring, media outreach campaigns, promotion of media and information literacy; awareness-raising on freedom of expression, trainings targeting journalists/bloggers, facilitating the development and use of Information and Communication Technologies); and/or
iii) technical and vocational education and training (TVET), skills development, transition from school to work and business creation strategies (design, implementation, evaluation).
• Experience in partnership‐building with specialized bodies in the respective Member State, UN Agencies, civil society and the private sector; and
• Experience in implementation and reporting related to international donor-funded projects.
• Professional knowledge about and direct experience in results-based programme planning and management in development and/or emergency context
• Strong strategic and analytical skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent organizational, networking, partnership building and interpersonal skills.
• Good computer and other IT skills
• Proven ability to work in a multicultural environment and in a team spirit.
• Excellent knowledge of Arabic and English. Fair knowledge of French is an asset.
• Experience on issues related to youth policy and youth civic engagement, including social media in transitional countries and youth employability in low-income and middle-income countries, and knowledge about UN and/or UNESCO´s actions in these fields of work;
• Experience on projects seeking to advance gender equality and women´s empowerment, and fostering social and political inclusion of disadvantaged groups;
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries are calculated in local currency and exempt from income tax. The Remuneration will consist of a Gross Salary of LBP 5,698,500 (pension and medical insurance included). Other benefits include 30 days annual leave, Sick – leave entitlements and maternity Leave (if applicable).
Please note that UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send your CV in UNESCO CV format, together with a cover letter in English, by e-mail to UNESCO Regional Bureau-Beirut (Administration Unit): firstname.lastname@example.org, by no later than 15 January 2016.
Kindly label the subject line: “Project Officer – NETMED Youth”.
The deadline for applications is 15 January 2016 at 24:00 (Beirut time).
Please note that only pre-selected candidates will be contacted
UNESCO DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS.