SERMEISS Looking for New Executive Director
The Southeast Regional Middle East and Islamic Studies Society (SERMEISS) is looking
for a new Executive Director to help lead the organization.
SERMEISS is a professional society for specialist or non-specialist educators and other individuals
whose professional activities actively engage the Middle East and Islam. The organization was
founded in 1977 to provide scholars in the southeastern United States with an opportunity to meet
regularly with colleagues to share research findings and teaching concerns. SERMEISS is an
affiliated organization of the Middle East Studies Association of North America (MESA). The
SERMEISS 10-state region includes Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North
Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.
The Executive Director is the Chief Administrative Officer of SERMEISS and is appointed by and
serves at the discretion of the Executive Board, consisting of a president and members at large who
are elected by Society members.
Responsibilities include the following:
– Keeping the minutes of Board and Membership meetings, held once or twice per year;
overseeing changes to the organizational bylaws as recommended by the Board.
– Attending to the correspondence of the Society, primarily via email.
– Handling membership and the annual payment of dues; maintaining registers of members
and Middle East specialists in the region.
– Overseeing elections for Board members.
– Maintaining subscriptions associated with the SERMEISS website, computer, and
– Overseeing registration and other (minimal) arrangements for annual meetings.
– Administering, in close consultation with the Board, the annual literature and travel awards.
– Compiling and distributing a biannual newsletter.
The total time commitment for the position is approximately 10 hours per month, with peak
activity in January, February, and October.
The Executive Director will be compensated with an annual honorarium of $2,500.
– Residence in the SERMEISS 10-state region.
– Interest in and familiarity with the study of the Middle East and Islamic world.
– Present or past experience in higher education (as a post-graduate student, faculty member,
– Organizational and communication skills.
Those interested in the position are invited to send a letter of inquiry to the SERMEISS
Executive Board, care of current Executive Director Cal Allen at email@example.com, describing
their interest in and qualifications for the position. Review of applications will begin on January 15
and will be considered on a rolling basis thereafter until the position is filled.
Download in PDF form.