The GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien is an independent social-science research institute based in Hamburg. It analyses political, social and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East, and links this knowledge to questions of global significance. It combines region-specific analysis with innovative comparative research on accountability and participation, peace and security, growth and development, and power and ideas. The GIGA seeks to appoint a
Senior Research Fellow / Research Fellow.
Applications are invited for a full-time tenured / tenure-track position, preferably starting 1 January 2018. Remuneration (TV-AVH / TVöD EG14/13) and tenure status will be commensurate with experience, qualifications, and tasks.
The successful candidate will:
– conduct excellent research fitting the GIGA’s research agenda and with impact in his/her field
– be an active member of one Regional Institute of the GIGA and at least one Research Programme
– pursue a targeted publication strategy, acquire third-party funding, and conduct research-based knowledge transfer
– Doctorate in political science, economics, or a cognate discipline
– Profound knowledge of political, economic, and/or social developments in countries of one or more of the following world regions: Africa, Asia, Latin America, Middle East and fit with the GIGA’s research agenda
– Excellent academic record, demonstrated by at least three publications in renowned peer-reviewed journals and/or leading publishing houses within four years preceding the application
– Successful record in third-party funding acquisition, demonstrated by at least one ap-proved research proposal of substantial size in a competitive procedure, with the funding decision taken within four years preceding the application
– Additional achievements (such as management experience, contributions to knowledge transfer, editorial know-how)
– English-language proficiency; additional language skills relevant to one or more of the regions researched at the GIGA are an asset
In the German context, academic tenure refers to a permanent position until the incumbent retires (or leaves the institution). The tenure-track position is designed for further professional qualification as defined in §2 WissZeitVG (Academic Fixed-Term Contract Act) and includes a tenure option after successful performance evaluation. Part-time options will be considered, if so desired by the successful candidate. The reconciliation of work and family life is of great importance to the institute. The GIGA promotes gender equality and actively encourages applications from women. Among equally qualified applicants, women will receive preferential consideration in those areas in which they are underrepresented.
Please fill out the GIGA application form (found at www.giga-hamburg.de/en/vacancies) and send it with your full application (Ref.-No. GIGA-17-07) including relevant supporting docu-mentation (cover letter, CV, a list of publications [including submitted papers], a list of grants, certificates, names of two referees, a sample publication and a concept for your future re-search in the framework of the GIGA’s overall approach) to:
Frederike Aumann, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies,
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (email applications are particularly welcome).
Screening of applications will begin on 31 May 2017.