Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University – faculty, staff, and students – are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses ten departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Languages, History, Sociology, Social Work, International Affairs, Mass Communication , Psychology , Policy, Planning & Development , Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Public Health , Biomedical Sciences and Human Nutrition. The College also houses four Master Programs which are in Environmental Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Gulf Studies, and Arabic Language. In Fall 2013, CAS has launched a new master program in Material Sciences and a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CASfaculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5 million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
The Department of Social Sciences, Sociology Program, at Qatar University, Doha, invites applications for a full time position at the level of assistant or associate of Sociology to begin August 2015. The position is three years renewable. We are seeking a broadly trained sociologist with demonstrated teaching excellence and a commitment to scholarship.
Candidates should be committed to excellence in teaching and capable of involving undergraduate students in their research program. Candidates must have a Ph.D. in Sociology with strong quantitative and/or qualitative research skills. Preference will be given to candidates who have a track record of excellent publication and possess the potential and willingness to collaborate with faculty within and across departmental divisions. Priority will be given to candidates who are fluent in both Arabic and English and have the potential to attract extramural funding.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
1. Teach courses to undergraduate students in Arabic.
2. Advise undergraduate students
3. Collaborate with faculty on research within and across departments
4. Provide service to the department, university, profession, and community
5. Publish in peer-reviewed journals.
6. Seek and obtain extramural funding.
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
1. Excellent teaching record
2. Track record publication
3. Strong quantitative and/or qualitative research skills
1. A Ph.D. in Sociology
2. Teaching experience
3. Publication with clear research agenda
4. Fluent in both Arabic and English
1. Current Curriculum Vitae.
2. Cover letter.
3. Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
4. Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
5. Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
6. Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
1. A three-year renewable contract.
2. Salary is commensurate with experience.
3. Tax-free salary.
4. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
6. Educational allowance for candidate’s children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.