Organization Name: Department of Humanities
Qatar University Profile: Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
College Profile: The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses ten departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Languages, History, Sociology, Social Work, International Affairs, Mass Communication, Psychology, Policy, Planning & Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Public Health, Biomedical Sciences and Human Nutrition. The College also houses four Master Programs which are in Environmental Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Gulf Studies, and Arabic Language. In Fall 2013, CAS will launch a new master program in Material Sciences and a Ph.D. in Biological and Environmental Sciences. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5 million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
The Department of Humanities of Qatar University invites applications for the Assistant/Associate Professor in Islamic History. The successful candidate should be able to teach, review and develop different courses related to the area of Islamic History. The candidate will be able to demonstrate a proven record in research excellence and scholarship related to the field of Islamic History.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1) Developing and teaching effectively Islamic history courses using modern tools such as multimedia and e-learning environment.
2) Carry out research in line with research agenda of the department and college, as well as fostering a collaborative research agenda with other departments within Qatar University and beyond.
3) Perform other academic duties in accordance with Qatar University academic bylaws.
1)The ability to provide innovative and dynamic teaching in a small, as well as in a large class learning environment
2) The applicant should be proficient in both Arabic and English
3) Experience with using computer in teaching is advantageous
4)Ability to teach undergraduate courses related to Islamic history
1) Applicants should possess a PhD degree in Islamic history or related areas.
2) Applicants should have the minimum of five years teaching experience in the relevant area of specialization.
3) Applicants should have a proven track record of research and publications in relevant research fields.
1. Current Curriculum Vitae.
2. Cover letter.
3. Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
4. Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
5. Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
6. Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
1. A three-year renewable contract.
2. Salary is commensurate with experience.
3. Tax-free salary.
4. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
6. Educational allowance for candidate’s children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
7. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
8. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
9. End-of-contract indemnity.
How to Apply: Applications must be submitted online at the following http://www.qu.edu.qa/artssciences/job/index.php by January 31st 2014. No paper mail application can be accepted. The URL allows candidate to register and upload application material.