The Gulf Studies Program, College of Arts and Science at Qatar University, Doha, invites applications for Full Professor/Associate Professor position in a Social Sciences discipline in Human Rights to begin Fall 2012. The position is three years renewable. Area of research in a Social Sciences field must be related to Human Rights in the Arab Gulf region with further expertise in political rights and civil society, migration and labor, and gender equality in Arab Gulf states. Fluency in English is required and fluency in Arabic is a plus. The Gulf Studies Program is committed to producing new research and to familiarizing students with a wide range of texts, voices, perspectives and cultures while building an inclusive intellectual community in Gulf Studies.
Application Deadline: 31-Jan-2012
Position Category: Academic
Employment Type: Full Time
Position Term: Three Years Renewable
Duties and responsibilities:
Primary responsibilities include teaching MA courses in the area of Human Rights in the Arab Gulf; supervising student master’s theses; advising students through specific meetings and office hours (3 hours per week); providing logistical support to Gulf Studies projects and activities; and being an active member in the program, college, and university communities.
All QU faculty members must demonstrate effectiveness in the following categories: research, teaching; academic advising and program development; scholarly, professional and/or creative activities; and institutional and/or community service.
Required qualifications include a PhD in a Social Sciences discipline in Human Rights with focus on the Arab Gulf region; significant record of publications in this field (commensurate with rank) in a range of reputable journals and publications; evidence of superior teaching; IT proficiency for personal and classroom use; and ability to provide leadership and engage in program development.
- Online Application letter;
- Curriculum vita;
- Names, phone numbers, and email address of three references;
- Academic transcript;
- Any additional documents deemed relevant to application.
- Three-year renewable contract;
- Competitive tax-free salary;
- Health insurance coverage for faculty member and immediate dependents in accordance with QU HR policies;
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies;
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents;
- Educational allowance for candidate’s children in accordance with QU HR policies;
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies;
- End-of-contract indemnity.