Position: Research Associate – QNRF – 163
Department: Research and Grants
Location: Doha – Qatar
The term of appointment will be up to 9 months with possible renewal, approximately starting on September 2020, for work on an externally sponsored research grant.
A full-time highly motivated Research Associate (RA) is being sought for a research project led by Dr. Eid Mohamed and funded by the Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) titled, “Computational Study of Culture: Cultural Analytics for Modern Arab and Islamic Studies.” The project will operate within the Research & Grants Department led by the Director at the Doha Institute for Graduate Studies (DI).
We welcome applications from scholars in Arab studies with a specialization in literary, rhetorical, cultural, or historical studies. We are particularly interested in those who engage in research areas that bring the field of Arab Literature/Humanities into the digital age and the digital humanities domain. Scholars with research that explores the critical and cultural significance of using digital tools and methods in the context of questions of East-West encounters, representation, culture and politics are highly preferred.
The project’s research at this stage will consist of the exploration and analysis of discrete sets of texts that are relevant for the project’s time, space, and scope. The successful candidate is an innovative scholar who will bring theoretical, methodological, and technical expertise to the QNRF NPRP project on the computational study of Arab culture and history.
|Main duties and responsibilities:|
· To conduct a comprehensive literature review that contextualizes and historicizes the selected corpus.
· To conduct literary, narratological and intertextual analyses of the selected corpus.
· To explore textual themes, didactic purposes and layers of meaning in the selected corpus
.· To work with the LPI and the project’s team members to develop and use cases of the project’s ontology in describing and mapping Arabic text and concept migration across regional and linguistic borders.
· To author a research paper suitable for publication in high quality academic journals on Arabic literature and culture historically and materially produced and reproduced.
· To attend, organize and contribute to events under the project at DI.
· To contribute to project promotion and public engagement events.
· Undertake other duties as may be reasonably requested by the LPI and that are commensurate with the nature and grade of the post.
|MA in Comparative Literature, Arab Studies, Cultural Studies, with background in Arabic Digital Humanities studies. PhD or PhD candidates are preferred.|
|For full consideration please provide the following in one PDF file:
1) A cover letter stating the applicant’s academic field, area of specialization, and a short summary of the proposed work during the appointment period. The cover letter should not exceed 2 single-spaced pages.
3) A Research statement: summary of the research questions, goals, and methodological approaches of current and future projects, and a sample of scholarly writing.
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled, but priority will be given to those received by August 1st, 2020. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary and benefits are competitive at an international level.