Research Fellow (Sociology/Anthropology/Cultural Studies/Politics/Middle East Studies/Migration Studies/Urban Studies)
- NTU Main Campus, Singapore
- A Research Fellow position is currently available in the Division of Sociology, School of Social Sciences. This position is part of the research team led by Asst Prof Laavanya Kathiravelu on a project titled ‘Does Citizenship Matter? Interrogating second-generation immigrant incorporation in Singapore and Qatar’.
This project interrogates the complexities of legal, as well as informal and affective forms of affiliation in two city-states, Singapore and Qatar. It is particularly interested in understanding the experiences of second-generation immigrants who may or may not have access to legal/formal modes of belonging to the nation-state, but who have spent the majority of their lives in those locations. The project attempts to determine to what extent formal citizenship confers loyalty, and affiliation while taking into account religious, ethnic and gendered distinctions. The Research Fellow will primarily be involved in the Qatar-centric aspects of the project.
- Conduct literature reviews on relevant research domains
- Assist in preparation of interview protocols, surveys and other research measurements
- Prepare and publish material related to the project
- Coordinate and manage teams of research assistants
- Prepare progress reports, presentations, conference and journal papers, as well as other research related documents
- Liaise with external parties such as media outlets, government agencies and NGOs
- Teach one undergraduate course per academic year
- Contribute to team discussions and contribute to mentorship of junior scholars
- Present research findings at conferences, seminars and workshops
- Conduct field research, interviews and focus groups in Qatar
- PhD in Sociology, Anthropology, Cultural Studies, Politics, Middle East Studies, Migration Studies, Urban Studies, or any other related field in the social sciences
- Research expertise in areas and trends in migration, nationalism, belonging and/or citizenship
- A promising publication record
- Rich skills and experience in quantitative (particularly survey design) and qualitative research methods
- Excellent communication skills in speaking, reading and writing
- Experience conducting fieldwork/data collection in the Persian Gulf or Middle East
- Ability/willingness to teach undergraduate sociology courses
- A good team player and leader with the ability to work closely with faculty, staff and external collaborators
- Good project management skills with the ability to multitask effectively
- Due to the multicultural make-up of Qatar, the successful candidate will be expected to conduct field research, interviews and focus groups in one of the following languages: Arabic, Urdu, Hindi or Malayalam hence proficiency is desirable
We regret to inform that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
- Hiring Institution: NTU
- A research-intensive public university, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU Singapore) has 33,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students in the Engineering, Business, Science, Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences, and Graduate colleges. It also has a medical school, the Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine, established jointly with Imperial College London.
NTU is also home to world-class autonomous institutes – the National Institute of Education, S Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Earth Observatory of Singapore, and Singapore Centre for Environmental Life Sciences Engineering – and various leading research centres such as the Nanyang Environment & Water Research Institute (NEWRI) and Energy Research Institute @ NTU (ERI@N).
Ranked amongst the world’s top universities by QS, NTU has also been named the world’s top young university for the past seven years. The University’s main campus is frequently listed among the Top 15 most beautiful university campuses in the world and has 57 Green Mark-certified (equivalent to LEED-certified) buildings, of which 95% are certified Green Mark Platinum. Apart from its main campus, NTU also has a campus in Novena, Singapore’s healthcare district.
Under the NTU Smart Campus vision, the University harnesses the power of digital technology and tech-enabled solutions to support better learning and living experiences, the discovery of new knowledge, and the sustainability of resources.
For more information, visit www.ntu.edu.sg