Michigan State University’s Office of International Studies and Programs (ISP) seeks applications for a Director of MSU’s Muslim Studies Program to begin spring or fall 2014. MSP is a cross-college and cross-regional program that promotes a large and diverse set of research and educational operations. MSP involves faculty from across the university, including but not limited to the College of Arts and Letters, the College of Social Science, James Madison College, and the Residential College in the Arts and Humanities. Unlike Middle East Studies programs, MSP is distinguished by its geographic breadth with respect to associated curricula, research, and outreach. Reflecting MSU’s overall commitment to internationalization, MSP facilitates academic and programmatic excellence and linkages between the Muslim world and MSU’s faculty, students, other educators, non-governmental organizations, the media, and state and regional leaders in government and business. For more information on MSP, see: http://muslimstudies.isp.msu.edu/
Qualified applicants must:
(1) be an advanced Associate Professor or a full Professor in a major discipline, preferably in the social sciences or the humanities; (anthropology, economics, geography, history, political science, sociology or religious studies);
(2) have an established research focus devoted to some aspect of Islamic/Muslim studies and a general expertise of the Muslim world;
(3) possess a distinguished record that includes research and publications, teaching and advising, and grant acquisition; (4) be fluent in at least 1 non-Western language spoken in the Muslim world;
(5) demonstrate a proven record of administrative experience and leadership in the higher education context.
The Director’s appointment will be 50-75% in the Muslim Studies Program and 25-50% in an academic department (the tenure home). Exact percentages are subject to a mutual agreement between the successful candidate, the Dean of ISP, and the home academic department/college. The directorship will be an annual (12 month) appointment for a period of five-years, with a possibility for renewal. Salary and rank are commensurate with experience.
The MSP Director provides intellectual and programmatic leadership to advance and promote MSU’s related research, teaching, and engagement missions. Relevant duties include:
(1) advancing knowledge of Muslim studies;
(2) promoting offerings of relevant languages and courses;
(3) building and strengthening relationships among MSP’s constituent and stakeholder groups (i.e., faculty, administrators, students, academic programs, K-12 institutions, local Muslim communities, governmental and policy organizations, alumni, and others in the U.S. and in key countries).
Additional duties pertaining to MSP’s educational mission entail:
(1) coordinating Program activities and representing MSP at MSU, across the nation, and around the world;
(2) developing and sustaining strategic partnerships in higher education with institutions around the world to advance collaborative research, teaching, and engagement;
(3) overseeing current and new partnerships in the Middle East (including North Africa) and Central, South, and Southeast Asia;
(4) facilitating and catalyzing collaborative, multi-disciplinary, and cross-college research among social sciences, arts/humanities, and STEM/health faculty;
(5) initiating proposals for external funding both for research and for MSP activities.
To accomplish these functions, the Director is also required both to travel internationally to augment MSU’s strategic partnerships and interests and to report regularly and directly to the ISP Dean.
MSP operates under the auspices of MSU’s Office of International Studies and Programs (ISP) which is headed by its own Dean. In administering MSP, the dean of ISP works closely with the Office of the Provost and the deans of the College of Arts and Letters, James Madison College, the Residential College in the Arts and Humanities, and the College of Social Science. ISP incorporates MSU’s extensive study abroad programs and international student and scholar services, and MSP actively partners with other ISP units including the African Studies Center; Asian Studies Center; Center for the Advanced Study of International Development; Center for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies; Center for International Business, Education, and Research; Center for Language Education and Research; Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies; and the Center for Gender in Global Context. Several of these centers are currently U.S. Department of Education designated and funded Title VI resource centers.
A complete application must include:
(1) a letter indicating interest, qualifications, and how research, administrative, and teaching experiences support the candidate’s application;
(2) a current vita;
(3) a list with the names of 3 references who can address the candidate’s scholarly, instructional, and administrative skills (applicant must also arrange for their references to submit letters directly and confidentially);
(4) samples of scholarly writing (e.g., peer-reviewed articles or book chapters);
(5) a teaching portfolio that includes sample syllabi from previously-taught classes, a statement of teaching philosophy, and associated evaluations.
The position is posted online at MSU’s employment website under posting #8473.
Except for letters of reference, all application materials must be uploaded at: http://jobs.msu.edu.
Letters of recommendations must be mailed directly to:
International Studies and Programs,
Attn.: Muslim Studies Program Director Search, International Center, 427 N.
Shaw Lane, Room 207, East Lansing, MI 48824-1035.
The deadline for receipt of complete applications (including letters) is October 31, 2013.
Late applications will be considered until the position is filled. For questions regarding this search contact Dr. Assefa Mehretu, Chair, Search Committee, Muslim Studies Program Director. Dr. Mehretu can be reached at the mail address above or at firstname.lastname@example.org or (517) 353-5921.
MSU is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer.