The GIGA German Institute for Global and Area Studies / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien is an independent social science research institute based in Hamburg, Germany. It analyses political, social and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East, and links this knowledge to questions of global significance. It combines region-specific analysis with innovative comparative research on accountability and participation, peace and security, globalisation and development, and global orders and foreign policies. The GIGA is seeking to appoint a
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (“Scientific Coordinator”) (m/f/d)
Applications are invited for a full-time position, with a contract of one year, preferably starting 1 November 2021. The salary is commensurate with TV-AVH / TVöD EG 13.
The successful candidate will work most of the time in Hamburg within the project “Merian Centre for Advanced Studies in the Maghreb” (MECAM), an interdisciplinary research centre funded by the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). MECAM is located on the campus of the Université de Tunis in Tunisia. It was established in April 2020 under a consortium of international scientific institutions, led by Philipps Universität Marburg and with the GIGA as a central partner. Under the guiding theme “Imagining Futures – Dealing with Disparity”, MECAM regularly invites international fellows to Tunis for a research stay within the framework of “Interdisciplinary Fellow Groups” (IFGs).
The successful candidate will
- coordinate the work of IFG V “Identities & Beliefs” and its 5-6 Tunisian, German, and international fellows (doctoral, postdoctoral and senior researchers);
- regularly communicate with the fellows and assist in the organisation of their travel and stay in Tunis;
- plan joint IFG V activities and products, such as internal meetings, outreach events and contributions to the MECAM Papers series;
- pursue own research agenda related to identities and beliefs with a view on Tunisia, the Maghreb and/or beyond;
- hereby closely coordinate with the MECAM coordination team as well as with the re-sponsible person at the GIGA, Dr. André Bank
- a doctoral degree in the social sciences or humanities
- substantial knowledge about questions of identities and beliefs in Tunisia, the Maghreb and/or comparatively
- strong organisational, teamwork and communication skills
- on-site research and/or work experience in the Maghreb, preferably in Tunisia
- willingness to work for up to three months on-site at MECAM in Tunis (March to May/June 2022)
- strong proficiency in both English and French
- at least basic proficiency of Arabic
- experience with internal and public workshop and conference formats
- experience with different publication outlets
Part-time options will be considered, if so desired by the successful candidate. Diversity and the reconciliation of work and family life are of great importance to the institute. The GIGA promotes the equality of all genders.
Please fill out the application form (found at https://www.giga-hamburg.de/en/career/) and send it together with your full application (Ref.-No. GIGA-21-12) including relevant supporting documentation (cover letter, CV, credentials/diplomas/certificates, names and contact details of two references, list of publications, one work sample), as one PDF (except for the completed GIGA application form) to:
Gabriele Tetzlaff, German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA), Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (email applications are particularly welcome).
Screening of applications will begin on 21 July 2021.