The Middle East and North Africa Division of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking a highly motivated candidate to provide administrative support to the team. This Associate position reports to the Executive Director of the Middle East and North Africa Division, based in New York, and will support other Middle East and North Africa Division staff. This position is based in the New York office.
- Provide day-to-day administrative support to Division staff, including scheduling, making travel arrangements, assisting with expense reports, preparing for and taking minutes at meetings, creating and maintaining extensive filing and archiving systems, and responding to requests for information;
- Maintain communication among HRW offices, global staff, and external partners;
- Prepare, draft, edit, format, and distribute materials such as news releases, reports, tables, charts, briefing papers, op‑eds, publications and web content;
- Assist the senior staff of the Division with research by monitoring news, gathering electronic clippings, and coordinating wires and translations;
- Assist with events such as news conferences, staff meetings, and special events;
- Coordinate and support advocacy work, including scheduling official meetings, managing subscriptions, and building and maintaining contact databases;
- Assist with recruiting, coordinating, and mentoring of interns and recruiting division staff;
- Record and process departmental finances; and
- Carry out other duties as required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in human rights, international relations, or a related field is required.
Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant work experience is required. Previous work, internship, or volunteer experience in the Middle East and human rights is highly desirable.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Prior office/administration experience and strong organizational skills are required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required; proficiency in one or more regional languages (Arabic, Persian, or Hebrew) is strongly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously are required.
- Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required.
- Ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team with staff in multiple locations globally is required.
- Strong interest in the Middle East and North Africa and human rights is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in computer packages including MS Office applications is required.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current US work authorization valid for a minimum of two years from start date.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range starts at $45,150. Human Rights Watch offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, an outstanding retirement savings plan and twenty (20) days of vacation per year.
Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
To apply for the position: https://www.globaljobs.org/jobs/8136-new-york-human-rights-watch-associate-middle-east-and-north-africa