The Institute for Oriental and Classical Studies in Moscow, Russia, invites applications for postdoctoral research positions in the field of the Modern and/or Contemporary History of the Arab World.
The general requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are the following:
- Candidates must hold a recent PhD in the field of the Modern and/or Contemporary History of the Arab World or related areas which was awarded within the last 5 years or received before starting work at HSE in a relevant field by an internationally recognized university and has been assessed by external reviewers as having the potential to pursue research that is publishable in leading peer-reviewed journals;
- Candidates should have a strong background in the Modern and Contemporary History of the Arab World, ability to teach for the Arab World Programme and to conduct research in the relevant field;
- Fluent English is an obligatory condition as teaching, research and other activities are conducted in English;
- Fluent Arabic is an obligatory condition as it is expected to be used in teaching (e.g. reading of documents with students);
- Knowledge of other Oriental and/or Russian languages will be an asset;
- Relevant experience will be an asset although not required.
The position involves:
- working under the direct supervision of the Director of the Institute Professor Ilya S. Smirnov, Deputy Director Professor Leonid E. Kogan and Head of the Arab World Programme Dmitry V. Cherkashin;
- participants are encouraged to pursue their own research on any topic in the Modern and/or Contemporary History of the Arab World along with devising and teaching at least one course in the same field for the Department of the History and Philology of the Near East;
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals in co-authorship with the members of the Department of the History and Philology of the Near East as well as CSMECCA;
- participation in the events of the Institute and other contribution to the development of Arabic studies and CSMECCA;
- public presentations of candidate’s own research to the academic community.
Appointments are made for one year. Postdoctoral fellows have high opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times) in case of outstanding performance.
HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
The HSE University offers access to its library both online and on site.
Applications must be submitted online. Please provide a CV, a statement of research interest and a recent research paper submitted via the online application form. At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to the hiring laboratory/centre/department may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is January 31, 2022.
For more information:
- about Postdoctoral Fellowship –Frequently Asked Questions;
- about HSE university –official web-site;
- about the Institute; the Department; the CSMECCA or contact Dr Denis V. Volkov directly firstname.lastname@example.org;
- about international specialists’ life in Moscow –International Faculty Support .
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com