The Kuwait Program at Harvard Kennedy School’s Middle East Initiative (MEI) is now accepting applications for the Spring 2023 Kuwait Visiting Research Fellow position. The deadline to apply is June 5, 2022 at 11:59pm ET.
Length: One semester (about four months)
Application and Deadline: Applications for the Spring 2022 Kuwait Visiting Research Fellowship are now open. The deadline to apply is June 5, 2022 at 11:59pm ET. | APPLY HERE
Fellowship Description: The Middle East Initiative hosts a scholar each spring to conduct a research project on a topic relevant to policy and development in the Middle East and North Africa. Eligible candidates include scholars from Kuwait, ranging from the postdoctoral to the senior level. We are interested in research that focuses on the Arabian Gulf (preferably with specific attention to the State of Kuwait) and one of the following five policy areas:
- Science and Technology: Deployment and impacts of new information technologies, automation processes, and artificial intelligence: new frontiers in urban design and sustainability; anticipating and managing global health challenges.
- Energy and the Environment: Externality impacts of energy development; renewable options; impacts of and measures to deal with the impact of climate change in the region.
- Education Reform: Higher education management; curricular reform; workforce development and training; equipping the region’s youth to be globally competitive.
- Economic Development: Economic development and structural diversification; building a stronger private sector; attracting foreign investment.
- Governance: Regulatory and legal reform; strategic planning and crisis management; public policy analysis, design and delivery; institutional reform.
The Kuwait Visiting Research Fellow is expected to be in residence at Harvard for the duration of their appointment and to participate actively in MEI and Belfer Center activities as appropriate. The fellowship includes a $7,500 monthly stipend.
Applicants must submit the following materials through the fellowship application portal by 11:59pm ET on June 5, 2022:
- Three recommenders (name, contact details, in what capacity they worked with you) who will submit letters of recommendation on your behalf.*
- Research proposal (3-5 pages)
- Writing sample with an abstract of 300 words or less. The writing sample should not exceed 50 pages. It can be a journal article, book or dissertation chapter, a white paper, policy brief, etc.
*Recommenders must submit their letters of recommendation no later than Friday, June 10, 2022. Emails with a link to upload the letters of recommendation will be sent to all listed recommenders once the applicant submits their application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure these letters are received by the recommender deadline.
Please submit inquires to Julia Martin, Research and Finance Manager at the Middle East Initiative, at Julia_martin@hks.harvard.edu.
The Kuwait Program at Harvard Kennedy School is made possible through funding from the Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences.