Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human potential. HBKU is an emerging research university that acts as a catalyst for transformative change in Qatar and the region while having global impact.
The College of Islamic Studies (CIS) at HBKU was established as a home for contemporary Islamic studies, with the aim of becoming a hub for exceptional faculty and students who engage in meaningful dialogue about Islam and Muslims. It offers two dynamic graduate programs: an MA in Islamic studies and an MS in Islamic finance (with multiple specializations). Plans are also underway to offer PhD degrees in these two areas. The college houses several distinguished research centers and brings together scholars and thought leaders from around the world.
The College of Islamic Studies is inviting applications and nominations for the position of associate dean for academic affairs, at the rank of associate professor or professor in Islamic studies. This position reports directly to the dean.
The ideal candidate must:
- Provide leadership in ensuring the highest quality of the academic programs and the implementation of the processes for recruitment, retention, and overall academic success of faculty and students.
- Supervise the development plans and evaluation processes of academic initiatives and foster an academic community dedicated to high-quality, research-based courses and creative and transformative learning methods.
- Implement effective review and evaluation systems of academic policies and procedures relating to academic programs, ventures and initiatives.
- Work with the CIS dean on the development of the college’s budget and funding guidelines for academic programs to achieve enrollment targets, meet student demand, and to consider the unique features and needs of the academic programs.
- Serve as the college’s accreditation liaison, and coordinate the preparation and submission of materials to accreditation board committees.
- Be committed to constructive collaboration with various stakeholders and institutions inside and outside of Qatar, including academic programs and colleges within HBKU, Education City and QF at large. The successful candidate should work with academic partners in Qatar, the GCC and in the Middle East, as well as representatives of international key universities and research centers worldwide.
The ideal candidate should possess the following:
- Doctorate degree with a professorship title in the field of Islamic studies from an accredited and high-profile academic institution.
- Extensive experience in the tasks and commitments related to the profile of the associate dean, as outlined above.
- A substantial record of teaching experience and research accomplishments within a college/university setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with faculty, administration, department chairs, staff, other campus personnel, and external constituencies.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of budgeting, resource management, and planning skills.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as educational allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, annual airfare cost, and medical insurance.
How to Apply
Candidates should submit their complete application (CV, cover letter, research statement, teaching statement and names of three references with their full contact information) by clicking here.
Position will be open until filled. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews. Candidates are expected to start immediately.
Hamad Bin Khalifa University is an equal opportunity educator and employer. We are committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.