The German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA) / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien is an independent social-science research institute based in Hamburg. It analyses political, social and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East, and links this knowledge to questions of global significance. It combines region- specific analysis with innovative comparative research on accountability and participation, growth and development, peace and security, and power and ideas. The GIGA seeks to ap- point a
Postdoctoral Research Fellow Middle East and North Africa (m/f/d)
Applications are invited for a full-time position, with a contract of 3 years, starting 1 April 2021. The salary is commensurate with EG 13 TV-AVH / TVöD.
The successful candidate will work in the project “World Order Narratives of the Global South”, pending external funding. A research team of six postdocs and several senior re- searchers and visiting fellows will investigate what world order narratives have emerged in the Global South after the end of the Cold War and how this reflects the position of the re- spective countries in a changing geopolitical landscape.
Tasks will include:
- Pursuit of related individual research and publication agenda
- Research related traveling (travel funds will be provided)
- Cooperation with the research team on an international conference and a joint vol- ume
- Participation in outreach activities, such as writing policy briefings, workshops, and events
- Outstanding academic record
- A doctoral degree in a social science or history, with submission of PhD thesis no later than April 2021
- Fluency in local languages that are required for the research (e.g. Arabic, Farsi, Turk- ish)
- Proficiency in English
- Knowledge of innovative research methods and related software
- Team orientedpersonality
- Field work experience
Part-time options will be considered, if so desired by the successful candidate. Diversity and the reconciliation of work and family life are of great importance to the institute. The GIGA promotes the equality of all genders.
Please fill out the GIGA application form (found at www.giga-hamburg.de/en/vacancies) and send it with your full application (Ref.-No. GIGA-20-11.) including relevant supporting documentation (cover letter, CV, credentials/diplomas/certificates, names and contact details of two references, list of publications, max. two work samples, 2-page sketch of individual re- search project) as one document (except for the completed GIGA application form) to:
Gabriele Tetzlaff, Institute for Middle East Studies, German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA), Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (email applications are particularly welcome). Screening of applications will begin on 15 January 2021.
For further information, please visit the GIGA homepage (www.giga-hamburg.de) or contact: