The Department of History at Furman University is seeking candidates for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor in any period or field of the history of the Middle East and the Islamic world. The successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in hand by the start of appointment and will be expected to be or become an excellent classroom instructor and student mentor, establish and maintain an active scholarly agenda, and be an enthusiastic contributor of service to the History Department as well as to the University. Furman seeks candidates who can enrich the diversity of the academic community through their research, teaching, and/or service. The teaching load is 3-2.
Applicants must submit materials no later than December 15, 2020, through the Furman University website here. Letters of recommendation should be sent via Interfolio to Sara Abraham-Oxford (firstname.lastname@example.org), administrative assistant to the History Department. The review of applications will begin immediately. The position will begin on August 1, 2021. Preliminary and final interviews will be conducted remotely via video conference.
Required Documents (Please combine all documents into a single pdf before uploading):
- Cover letter (The cover letter should include a description of how your teaching, scholarship, mentoring and/or service might contribute to a liberal arts college community that includes a commitment to diversity as one of its core values.)
- University diversity statement
- Two sample syllabi (one from an introductory course, one from an advanced course)
- Writing sample or excerpt of no more than 20 pages
- Three confidential letters of recommendation to be submitted via Interfolio.