The Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals (IBEI) invites applications for three postdoctoral research fellowships (3-year contract, fulltime). The positions will be based in Barcelona. Successful applicants will form part of the research project ETHNICGOODS: States, Nationalism, and the Relationship Between Ethnic Diversity and Public Goods Provision, funded by the European Research Council (ERC) and led by Dr. Matthias vom Hau.
Qualifications and Skills: Successful candidates are expected to have
- a PhD in political science, sociology, development studies or geography;
- research experience in the areas of ethnic politics, nationalism, state capacity and/or public goods provision;
- a regional specialization on either Southeast Asia, sub-Saharan Africa, or the Middle East;
- field research experience in collecting and working with primary historical documents and/or data;
- excellent spoken and written English.
Proven expertise and experience using advanced quantitative methods is strongly desired.
Key responsibilities: The postdoctoral researchers will contribute to the construction of two new global datasets, one on historical nation-building strategies and the other on state development, and conduct quantitative analyses for ETHNICGOODS. Postdoctoral researchers will also conduct qualitative, fieldwork-based case study research on selected countries/subnational units in their region of specialization, and supervise MA and PhD students working for the project.
Applications: Please send the following two documents to Laia Bertran (firstname.lastname@example.org) by January 25, 2021:
- Document 1: a cover letter + CV + a proposal that sketches your own research plans as a postdoc (1500 words, excluding references) + names and contact information of 3 referees, all in one pdf.
- Document 2: a writing sample (either a journal article with you as the lead author or a dissertation chapter) as another pdf.
Starting Date: Negotiable, but no later than September 1, 2021