California State University, the Division of Social, Behavioral and Global Studies invites applications for a full time, tenure track position at the Assistant Professor level in humanitarian action, international organizations, and transnational governance, preferably with expertise in the Middle East or Sub-Saharan Africa.
We seek a candidate to teach at all undergraduate levels. This line is intended to offer undergraduates an understanding of theory and skills in development/humanitarian action. The candidate will oversee service learning courses and develop international internships.
CSU Monterey Bay places a high priority on effective undergraduate teaching. The successful candidate will show promise as a dynamic teacher in order to draw students from lower division into the major. The successful candidate will design curriculum consistent with the Core Values and Academic Goals of the University.
The professor will be expected to:
- teach lower and upper division courses throughout the SBGS curriculum
- teach courses related to development, service learning and related courses in Global Studies
- develop and teach courses in area of specialty
- engage in intensive student advising, including individualized senior capstone advising
- participate in development of Global Studies and Social Science curriculum
- participate in rotating responsibilities for shared governance and service to the university
- further his/her research agenda, involving students when possible
- stay current in his/her field
- PhD in Development Studies, Anthropology, Sociology or relevant field related to development or humanitarian action
- Experience in undergraduate teaching
- Able to teach courses in development/humanitarian action and transnational governance
- Stated commitment to the published CSUMB Academic Goals and Core Values
- Ability to work effectively and collegially within a multidisciplinary program with faculty colleagues from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated preparation to teach in the area of the Middle East or Sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience in cutting edge developments in new media, technology and social entrepreneurship in development. (Gender analysis is commendable)
- Experience with undergraduate advising and service learning courses
- Experience with media, technology and social entrepreneurship in development
- Experience with non-governmental organizations (NGOs), non-profits, and inter-governmental organizations (IGOs).
Appointment subject to a criminal background check. Appointment start date: August 2012. Apply Online (http://www.Click2Apply.net/v2jymff).