While managing growth, the Center for International Learning (CIL) is now ready to hire another Academic Director for our Study Abroad Program for the coming academic year. The selected candidate will come on board in mid-July to early August, and will work on our campus in Muscat, capital city of the Sultanate of Oman. CIL is a private American-Omani educational institution that provides semester-long study abroad programs for students coming mainly from U.S. colleges and universities, but also from Europe and Japan. We also offer intensive Arabic language programs at all levels (both individual and group), and programs to help students and professionals hone skills in leadership, critical thinking and program management. Previously our staff was with World Learning/SIT, but as of 2012, the Center has been an independent organization. We offer the same programs on the same campus, and many members of the staff continuing on, including our renowned Arabic language instructors who now teach more than 325 students each year.
Roles of the Academic Director (AD):
Our study abroad program in Oman is on the semester model, running fifteen weeks from early September through mid December, and from late January through mid-May. The AD will hold an annual ten-month contract, and his/her responsibilities will include the following:
• Full development and implementation of the curriculum and other academic components of the program, Oman: Managing Modernity, Translating Traditions,
• Recruiting visiting lecturers (mostly locally) for course modules,
• Teaching modules and facilitating workshops and discussions,
• Overseeing all academic planning for each semester, including field visits and excursions,
• Providing an orientation week to familiarize students with Muscat, as well as cultural traditions of relevance, including dress and behavioral expectations while guests in Oman,
• Managing study abroad program logistics, and interfacing with other CIL staff as well as U.S., Omani and other institutions, and
• Evaluating the academic progress of each student, and providing (as needed by sending institutions) written evaluations and/or letter grades.
Required Education and Experience:
The Academic Director must have a Master’s degree, and preferably a Ph.D in relevant fields pertaining to economic and social development in the Middle East and/or Gulf. Advanced Arabic language competency is desirable, although a quick learner currently with Intermediate abilities will be considered if other skills are strong. Previous university-level teaching experience in one or more relevant fields is required. The position also requires someone with strong scholarly knowledge of Oman and/or the Gulf and the ability to interest and interact with students on a daily basis. Additional skills and experience include management ability, experience in planning and organizing, a love of learning, a sense of humor and the capacity to work in a leadership capacity as part of a team.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary and benefits for this position are commensurate with education and experience, and are geared to young professionals.
Please forward resumes to: AcademicDirector@omancenter.org
Also, visit our website at www.omancenter.org