The Crown Center for Middle East Studies at Brandeis University invites applications from scholars of the modern Middle East for the position of Assistant Director for Research. This is a full-time residential position. The Assistant Director for Research will be a core member of the Crown Center’s senior research team and will work under the supervision of the Director for Research to set and implement the Center’s research agenda and manage its publications, primarily the Middle East Brief series and Crown Conversations.
For full consideration, please submit the following materials:
– Cover letter and C.V.
– An unpublished writing sample of no more than 25 pages (this could include dissertation/book manuscript chapters, articles, opinion pieces)
– Two names and emails of references
Duties and Responsibilities include:
– Management of Crown Publications: The candidate will be responsible for the successful and timely management of the Crown Center’s publications, which consists of a minimum of 8 Middle East Briefs and 4 Crown Conversations per year. Responsibilities include working with authors to shape and hone their arguments, content editing, and acting as liaison with the production team, primarily the Assistant Director and Copy Editor, in consultation with the Director for Research.
– Mentoring and coordinating with Crown Center fellows including, but not limited to, professional development, the fellows’ participation in the annual scholars workshop, annual board retreat, and crafting and shaping their Middle East Briefs and Crown Conversations.
– Assistance to the Director for Research in the shaping and implementing the Center’s research agenda, including organizing research seminars and workshops, funding proposals, networking, and recruitment of fellows and researchers.
– Conducting original research on the modern Middle East and maintaining an active scholarly profile (defined broadly).
– A PhD in any field of modern Middle East Studies, plus 1-3 years of demonstrated academic and research experience in Middle Eastern Studies
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
– Excellent editing skills
– Superior organizational skills and an ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously and in a timely manner
– Reading knowledge of Turkish, Arabic, or Persian is preferred.
Compensation: Salary range is $79,000–$94,000, commensurate with experience, plus a $3,000 annual research budget
Application Submission: All application materials must be submitted here.
Applications for the first round of interviews are due April 1, and applications may be considered until April 15.
Inquiries: You may direct inquiries to Kristina Cherniahivsky at email@example.com or call 781-736-5320. For more information, please visit brandeis.edu/crown.
Brandeis University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating equitable access and opportunities for applicants to all employment positions. Because diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the core of Brandeis’s history and mission, the Crown Center values and is seeking candidates with a variety of social identities, including those that have been underrepresented in higher education, who possess skills that spark innovation, and who, through their scholarly pursuits, teaching, and/or service experiences, bring expertise in building, engaging, and sustaining a pluralistic, unified, and just campus community.