The Afro-Middle East Centre (AMEC) is a research institute based in Johannesburg. We focus mainly on the Middle East and North Africa region. The institute produces a number of publications and organises various events: conferences, seminars, study tours.
Based in Sandton, Johannesburg, The Afro-Middle East Centre (AMEC) seeks to appoint a junior researcher/ researcher.
This position will suit a flexible, experienced and articulate candidate who works well in a team, is target driven, hardworking and works well under pressure and tight deadlines. The successful candidate will be expected to undertake research related to the geopolitical situation in the MENA region and our thematic research areas, to analyse events in the region, and to write political assessments and policy recommendations.
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
* At least a Master’s degree in either International Relations, Political Science, or a related field
* Ability to plan and execute research projects
* Experience in research design, analysis and in writing policy papers
* Published research in a relevant area
* Candidates who have conducted research on the MENA region will be preferred
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Fluency in written and spoken English. (Knowledge of Arabic, Turkish and/or Persian will be an advantage.)