Location: Beirut, Lebanon
The Arab Council for the Social Sciences (ACSS) is recruiting for the position of Associate Director. The ACSS is a regional, independent, non-profit organization headquartered in Beirut, Lebanon. The Council is dedicated to strengthening social science research and research capacity in the Arab world. It aims to promote a strong and vibrant social science community by facilitating and supporting networking and the collaborative production of knowledge between individuals and institutions within the region and beyond. Its structure includes a General Assembly, an elected Board of Trustees and a Secretariat headed by a Director assisted by an Associate Director.
Dr. Seteney Shami currently serves as a part-time Founding Director. The Board of Trustees intends to hire an Associate Director to start in October 2011.
Responsibilities: The Associate Director will be based at the ACSS headquarters in Beirut. S/he is responsible for helping to carry out the mission and achieving the objectives of the ACSS and will be accountable to the Director. Main responsibilities include:
- Management of financial and managerial operations within the Secretariat, including working closely with administrative and financial staff.
- Assisting the Director in building and nurturing research networks.
- Liaising with the Council’s constituencies, the General Assembly, Board appointed committees and other like-minded institutions.
- Overseeing the communications strategy of the Council, including its website and publications.
- Assisting the Director in fundraising efforts to carry out the Council’s activities including preparation of proposals, writing up of reports and background papers, as well as preparation of proposal budgets.
- Assisting the Director in developing a strategy to ensure the viability of ACSS over time.
- Assisting the Director in preparing, in anticipation of Board approval, the Council’s annual work plan, covering research, capacity building and communication activities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Arabic and English or French.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working with boards, committees and a variety of stakeholders.
- Experience in the administration and financing of research programs and/or centers.
- Publications and personal research experience.
- Arab nationality (including Palestinians in the Occupied Arab Territories).
- Ph.D. (or its equivalent) in the social sciences.
- 1-5 years experience in research/teaching/administration, preferably with universities or organizations within the Arab region.
Application Process: If interested in this position, please apply as soon as possible by submitting:
- Letter of interest in Arabic specifically addressing the qualifications listed in this announcement
- Attached cover sheet
- Recent, full C.V. (in Arabic, English or French)
- A complete list of publications
- Copies of three relevant publications
- At least three professional references
Please send your application to: email@example.com with the subject line “ACSS Associate Director.”
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position has been filled. However, there is strong interest in filling the position by October 2011.