The University of Lausanne is a higher teaching and research institution composed of seven faculties where approximately 14,300 students and nearly 3,900 collaborators, professors, and researchers work and study. Ideally situated along the lake of Geneva, near Lausanne’s city center, its campus brings together over 120 nationalities.
The Faculty of Theology and Sciences of Religions (FTSR – https://www.unil.ch/ftsr ) of the University of Lausanne (UNIL) invites applications for a position as:
Full Professor or Assistant Professor (Tenure-track to Associate Professor) in
Social and cultural history of Islam and Islamic worlds
Depending on the applications and their evaluation, the Faculty reserves the right to propose the position at a different level.Information
Starting date: 1st August 2018 or convenient date
Contact Lengh: depending on the position
Rate of activity: 100 %
Workplace: FTSR, Lausanne (Dorigny)
- teaching of bachelor level (introduction to Islam) and master level in the curriculum “sciences of religions” (currently field “Socio-anthropology and history of Islams”)
- supervision of PhD students and participation in post-graduate formation and continuing education courses
- active participation to the activities of the Institute for history and anthropology of religions (IHAR), and eventually lead the institute
- active participation in the administrative tasks of the Faculty and of UNIL
- dialogue with society in relation to the field of the position
Although courses are to be conducted primarily in French, English instruction during the first two years is possible.
The successful applicant will have a PhD in History, History of the religions or a title considered to be equivalent, should be able to demonstrate solid skills in the following areas:
- thorough knowledge of at least one language in the concerned field studies
- excellent scholarly publications in the concerned field studies
- experience in teaching in the concerned field studies
- excellent integration within international scholarly networks
- capacity to initiate and manage a research project
- ability to interact with specialists from other religious traditions
- openness to comparison and interdisciplinary
- interest in gender issues
What the position offers you
We offer a nice working place in a multicultural, diversified and dynamic academic environment, opportunities for professional training.
A lot of activities and other benefits to discover.
Contact for further information
Further information may be obtained from Maritza.Erb@unil.ch (Administratrice de la FTSR).
Deadline : 08.03.2018 (23:59 Swiss time GMT +1)
The application must include: letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, date and title of the PhD, list of publications, copy of the relevant diplomas, name and contact informations of three referees (please attach letters of reference), and the five most significant publications.
Only applications through this website will be taken into account.
We thank you for your understanding.
UNIL is committed to promoting gender equality and strongly encourages applications from female candidates.