The Department of Cross-Cultural and Regional Studies, Faculty of Humanities, University of Copenhagen (UCPH), Denmark, invites applications for a 11 months postdoctoral position in ‘Mediatized Diaspora’ to be filled by 1st of January 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The position is for 11 months.
The successful candidate will join the collaborative project ‘Mediatized Diaspora. Contentious Politics among Arab Media users in Europe’ that is headed by Associate Professor Ehab Galal. The project examines how Arabic diasporic communities in Europe use regime-critical and politically mobilized Arab media in transnational political action since 2011. The project is funded by the Independent Research Fund Denmark.
The candidate will be responsible for conducting a subproject on how media practices of Tunisian political activists living in Denmark, Sweden and France contribute to political transformation in Tunisia, focusing on their attempts to negotiate and contest interpretations of current developments. The candidate is expected to conduct qualitative interviews among members of the Tunisian diaspora in the elected countries, to analyze and conclude on the findings, and to contribute to the methodological and theoretical discussions of the project.
Place of Employment and Work: The place of employment and daily work is Department of Cross-Cultural and Regional Studies, University of Copenhagen.
In order to be considered for the position applicants must have research qualifications at least corresponding to what can be achieved as part of a successfully completed PhD within a relevant field.
- A PhD in Cross-Cultural Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, Media Studies, Arab Studies, Anthropology or equivalent research experience.
- Research experience in media or political activism in the Middle East or in Arab diaspora communities in Europe.
- Experience in qualitative and interview-based research.
- Good-organizational skills and a structured approach to fieldwork.
- Excellent English skills written and spoken.
- Advanced knowledge of either Arabic or French.
Desirable experience and skills:
- Research based knowledge on Tunisia or the Arab Spring.
- Knowledge of Danish language.
For further information about the position, please contact Ehab Galal (firstname.lastname@example.org
For further details about the qualification requirements for postdoctoral researchers, please refer to the job structure for Academic Staff at Universities 2013: here
Submit the application online in Adobe PDF or Word format.
Please click on the “Apply now” icon at the bottom of the page.
The application must be written in English and include the following enclosures:
- Application letter/cover letter (max 1 page)
- Curriculum vitae (with applicant’s e-mail & telephone number)
- Documentation of qualifications (examination certificates/PhD diploma, etc.).
- Complete and numbered list of publications. The enclosed publications must be marked with *.
- Research plan, including a short description of previous research and a plan for the 11 months’ research that includes an account of how the applicant will contribute to the deliverables in the project description of the overall project (which is forwarded on request).
- Documentation of teaching qualifications and research dissemination, if any.
- Publications. Applicants may choose a maximum of three publications for assessment. Publication dates must be clearly marked on the publication list. The publications selected must be uploaded as attachments and listed from 1 to 3.
Should any material submitted consist of work with named co-authors, or work that is otherwise the result of collective academic endeavours, the extent of the applicant’s contribution to the work must be clearly stipulated. The Faculty may ask for a signed statement from the co-authors stipulating the extent and nature of each individual’s contribution.
Only material in Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and English can be expected to be assessed.
After the application deadline, the Head of Department selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Appointment Committee. All applicants are notified whether their application has been accepted for assessment. The Dean subsequently appoints an expert assessment committee tasked with carrying out an assessment of the selected applicants for the specific post. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee. Applicants are ultimately offered the opportunity of commenting on the part of the assessment relating to themselves before the appointment is finalized.
Applicants will be continuously informed about the progress of the procedure by e-mail.
Further information about the application procedure is available from HR-officer Rusan Elmazi: email@example.com
, please refer to ID number 13219.
Salary and conditions of employment
Terms of appointment and salary will be in accordance with an agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC). See here
The Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) have further agreed on a protocol that makes it possible for international researchers employed by the University to achieve a pension exemption, whereby the pension contribution will be paid out as salary. For more information about the different pension schemes, please see here
A special tax scheme is offered to researchers recruited abroad, see here
If you consider applying from abroad, you may find useful information on how it is to work in Denmark and at UCPH.
UCPH wishes to encourage everyone interested in this post to apply, regardless of personal background.
The closing date for applications is 23.59 CET, November 25, 2018.
Applications or supplementary material received thereafter will not be considered.