|Job Title||Zwan Postdoctoral Fellow|
|Full Time/Part Time||Full-Time|
|Position Summary||Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy and Boniuk Institute for Religious Tolerance invites applications for the Zwan post-doctoral fellowship beginning fall 2018. The successful candidate will hold a joint appointment with both institutes, and work closely with scholars from the two Institutes, Rice departments, and other research units on campus to pursue his/her research agenda and support research on religion and politics.
The Zwan Fellow will provide specialized knowledge, research support and management needed to oversee research projects conducted by the Baker Institute’s Center for the Middle East and Boniuk Institute for Religious Tolerance. This position will be responsible for creating original substantive research and coordinating researchers, staff and programs for a two-year project on religion and politics in the Middle East.
Review of applications will begin March 1, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
|Education Required||PhD or other Doctoral Degree|
|Concentration / Degree Type||For degree holders, PhD must have been awarded no earlier than May 2015.
Highly qualified doctoral candidates who are close to completing their degrees will be considered. Candidates without a doctoral degree must submit appropriate documentation that all requirements for the degree will be completed by the appointment start date.
|Education Preferred||PhD or doctoral degree in political science, history, sociology or related field.|
|Experience Required||1 year|
|Type of Experience||Related research experience.|
|Experience Preferred||– Two or more years work experience in academia, government, think tanks or the private sector on issues pertinent to religion and politics across the Middle East region.
– Previous work on issues of religious tolerance and political or religious violence across the Middle East region is highly desirable.
– Previous experience conducting Middle East policy research and/or religious policy research and outreach both nationally and internationally is also preferred.
|Skills Required||– Demonstrated active research agenda and/or publication record in his/her field of expertise.
– Demonstrated ability to formulate policy recommendations, initiate and engage in creative approaches toward advancing policy, including the ability to initiate projects and balance multiple projects.
– Ability to communicate effectively in English.
|Physical Demands||No extraordinary physical demands. Typical office environment.|
|Working Conditions||Standard office hours. Evening or weekend hours may be required for related events or travel.|
|Special Instructions to Applicants|
|Quick Link for Posting||http://jobs.rice.edu/postings/12699|
|Job Duty Name||Research and Research Support|
|Description of Job Duty||– Conduct independent and joint research; Develop and write academic papers, policy reports, and other products (policy briefs, op-eds) relevant to the agenda of the Baker Institute Center for the Middle East and Boniuk Institute for Religious Tolerance.
– Assist with the planning and implementation of a two-year research project on religion, pluralism, and political violence, including organizing working group events and helping to edit research outputs.
– Contribute to the academic mission of Rice University, including teaching if feasible.
– Work closely with Baker Institute researchers.
|Percentage of Time||75|
|Job Duty Name||Project Coordination|
|Description of Job Duty||– Serve as coordinator for team members.
– Organize conferences, workshops and seminars.
– Conceive, plan and develop substantive themes and research agendas for events.
– Collaborate with Baker Institute staff on logistics, venues and other event details for each meeting.
|Percentage of Time||25|
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Statement
- References/Recommendation Request
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a PhD or other doctoral degree?
- * Did you receive your PhD or other doctoral degree prior to May 2015?
- * Do you have one year of related research experience?