This is a full time faculty position starting in the 2013/14 academic year.
The Evergreen State College seeks a broadly trained, versatile faculty member to teach Comparative Religion in a wide range of interdisciplinary courses at the undergraduate level. Candidates must demonstrate a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching and team teaching.
We are searching for candidates for a full-time faculty appointment in Comparative Religion, with expertise in Islam, and in either Christianity or Judaism. Strong candidates for this position will be expected to teach about the history and practices of these traditions in a wide variety of comparative contexts, with emphasis on the Middle East/North Africa and another region of interest. We are looking for an excellent teacher with a Ph.D. or Th.D. in religious studies or the equivalent. The ability to teach about all three monotheistic traditions is desirable; a working knowledge of Arabic (Modern Standard), is also desirable.
Evergreen organizes its curriculum through interdisciplinary studies (rather than through departments and courses), so the ideal candidate will demonstrate interest in collaborating with colleagues who teach disciplines other than Comparative Religion. At Evergreen, faculty on teaching teams work closely with students and enjoy high a degree of freedom to determine the subject matter, pace, emphases, classroom strategies and modes of evaluation. Qualified applicants will teach in their area of expertise, and collaborate across disciplines to connect theory with practice. In addition to teaching, faculty are expected to advise and mentor students and participate in Evergreen’s system of shared governance. Through their participation in shared governance, faculty play a significant role in most aspects of how the college is run.
- Ph.D. or Th.D. in religious studies or the equivalent;
- Expertise in Islam, and in either Christianity or Judaism;
- College level teaching experience; and
- Demonstrated interest in team teaching in an interdisciplinary context.
- Working knowledge of Arabic (Modern Standard);
- Ability to teach about all three monotheistic traditions;
- Ability to support students’ development of writing skills;
- Experience teaching Religious Studies and additional disciplines;
- Experience in working with diverse and underrepresented populations; and
- Experience in pursuing innovative and engaging teaching strategies.
Review of complete applications begins January 14, 2013. We will continue to accept applications until finalists are selected.
Please review the complete job announcement and application process on our website: www.evergreen.edu/facultyhiring
|Contact:||The Evergreen State College 2700 Evergreen Parkway NW Lib 2002 Olympia, WA 98505 (360) 867-6861 email: email@example.com|
|Primary Category:||Religious Studies and Theology|
|Secondary Categories:||Islamic History / Studies
Jewish History / Studies