Application Deadline: March 15th, 2019
ECFR (The European Council on Foreign Relations) is a pan-European initiative which seeks to conduct research and promote informed debate across Europe on the development of coherent, effective and values-based European foreign policy. It has offices in Berlin, London, Madrid, Paris, Rome, Sofia and Warsaw. www.ecfr.eu The Visiting Fellow will develop and implement a programme of work on a group of countries/a thematic issue in the MENA region but will also show flexibility in responding to wider events in the region. The VF will develop ECFR’s MENA network and presence in Germany. Place in the organisation – Your place of work is mainly your responsibility although being located in Berlin is desirable. The VF will be expected to arrange his or her own working space. The successful person will report to the Director of MENA Programme.
- Act as the intellectual and policy lead on a geographic or thematic issue affecting the MENA region. Deliver policy relevant analysis, in the form of written briefs, private notes and commentaries, as well as oral public and private briefings as agreed with Programme Director.
- Strengthen and expand the programme’s policy and advocacy network in Germany, deepening ties with policy makers, politicians, the media community and wider public.
- Participate in relevant research trips, advocacy events and fundraising activities in European capitals and the MENA region.
- Deliver press enquiries and telephone briefings.
- Contribute to wider policy development and research and follow relevant discussions within and debates outside ECFR.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills in English, including a track record of published materials and/or media appearances
- A professional or academic background in MENA issues, with experience working in the region, and a focus on a particular geographic or thematic area of expertise, such as the Arab Gulf, North Africa or post-conflict stabilisation issues
- Masters educated in international affairs, EU affairs, public policy, political sciences, Middle East studies or equivalent
- German language capabilities
- Excellent organisational skills with excellent attention to detail
- Experience of devising and managing events
Expected Dates for this assignment: as soon as possible for 12 months
Please send a one page covering letter (with ref: VFMENA19 in the subject line), your CV, a non-academic writing sample, and a brief work-plan proposal via the apply link. Please restrict your CV and work proposal to no more than two pages of A4 each.
More information and application here