The Emory Libraries seek an energetic, user-oriented, and collaborative professional to serve as Middle East and Islamic Studies Subject Librarian. Focused primarily on the Department of Middle Eastern and South Asian Studies, the librarian will provide a full range of subject specific library services in collection development, cataloging, research consultation, and instruction.
Emory’s teaching and research in the Middle East occur mainly in the fields of language studies, Islamic studies, history, and literature. The Middle East and Islamic Studies Librarian at Emory has responsibility for acquiring and cataloging materials about Islamic studies and the history and cultures of the Middle Eastern and North African countries. The successful candidate will have a passion for the teaching and research missions of the University, and understand the Libraries’ role in advancing those missions. This position offers opportunity for strategic and interdisciplinary approaches to the selection, teaching, discovery, and delivery of digital and print information resources.
• ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent education and experience (subject expertise).
• Advanced degree in a relevant subject area.
• Fluency in Arabic, with reading knowledge of Persian.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience with instruction, information literacy, and assessment of library services and resources.
• Strong interest in technology and tools for research and teaching.
• Strong understanding of the key issues and trends in instruction, collection development, and research, in the subject areas of Middle East and Islamic Studies.
• Knowledge of scholarly communication issues and trends within the relevant disciplines.
• Evidence of excellent communication, teaching, writing and analytical skills.
• Commitment to fostering a diverse educational environment and workplace and an ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student population.
• Demonstrated willingness to respond to new opportunities with initiative, creative energy, and leadership.
• Evidence of active participation, involvement, or leadership in local, state, regional, national, or international professional or scholarly associations.
• Library experience as a Middle East and Islamic Studies Librarian.
• Cataloging experience.
• Reading knowledge of Persian.
• Practical knowledge of ACRL’s Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education.
• Experience working with ALMA, vendor sites such as YBP’s GOBI, libguides, LibAnswers, and other assessment tools.
Interested candidates should review the applications requirements and apply online at:
Applications may be submitted as Word or PDF attachments and must include:
1) Cover letter of application describing qualifications and experience;
2) Current resume/vita detailing education and relevant experience; and
3) On a separate document list the names, email addresses, and telephone numbers of 3 professional references including a current or previous supervisor.
Candidates applying by July 17, 2017 will receive priority consideration. Review of applications will continue until position is successfully filled. Emory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that welcomes and encourages diversity and seeks applications and nominations from women and minorities.