Job Title: Research Fellow or Senior Research Fellow (depending on level of qualifications/experience) – Africa programme
Department: Research and Analysis Department
Section: Programme on Africa
Reporting Line: Director Research and Analysis
1. Job Objective
The mission of the Emirates Diplomatic Academy (EDA) is to build the capabilities needed to meet the objectives of the UAE’s foreign policy by providing accredited academic programmes, the highest standards of executive training, and furthering the understanding of diplomacy and international relations through insightful thought leadership and impactful research and analysis.
The EDA is looking to build in-house subject-matter expertise on sub-Saharan Africa, with a particular focus on understanding UAE and wider Arabian Gulf relations with sub-Saharan Africa and, more broadly, political, economic, security and cultural issues in Africa that are relevant to UAE foreign policy. Therefore, the EDA is recruiting a (Senior) Research Fellow to both establish an Africa research programme and teach Africa-related courses/classes to EDA students and diplomats.
The EDA’s research is designed to engage students, advise UAE policymakers and stimulate international debate. An overview of the work of the EDA’s research department can be found here (http://www.eda.ac.ae/research/overview). An overview of the work of the academic department and the courses we deliver can be found here (http://www.eda.ac.ae/academic/overview).
2. Key Responsibilities/Duties
Managing research programme:
· Identify and manage a realistic, prioritized, impactful programme of research, designed to engage students, influence UAE policy makers, and stimulate wider international debate
· Identify and engage possible partners to collaborate on aspects of the research agenda, including commissioning external experts to write papers
· Initiate and organize events related to the research programme, including round-table discussions, seminars and workshops
· Build working relations with relevant government and non-government experts in the UAE and abroad who are working on these issues
· Producing and disseminating research:
· Conduct his/her own research
· Produce research papers and develop multimedia formats for communicating the results of research, including infographs, op-eds, video and other formats
· Provide expert advisory services for the government of the UAE
· Produce occasional short issue briefs for the EDA to distribute
· Present research in external forums, including conferences and other events
· Teach and develop at least one graduate course, most likely in the MA in International Relations and Diplomacy or the MA in Humanitarian Action and Diplomacy
· Prepare and deliver executive training courses and seminars for members of the diplomatic service and other relevant government entities
· Support preparations for the UAE’s participation in the UN Security Council as an elected member
· Advise EDA students on academic matters, including possibly supervising theses
· Contributing to wider goals of Research Department and the EDA:
· Contribute to the wider strategic planning of the Research and Analysis Department
· Contribute to wider operations and success of the EDA, including participating in relevant committees
3. Job Specification
Education and Relevant Experience
· Candidates must have a PhD in a relevant field from a respected academic institution and be able to demonstrate a minimum of 3 years’ experience in conducting relevant research and analysis, whether in government, international organisations, academia or in a research institution.
· For candidates who can demonstrate a minimum of 5-6 years of relevant experience, there is a possibility of being appointed as a Senior Research Fellow.
· All candidates should have teaching experience, as well as experience in producing policy-relevant analysis for government.
· A proven record of performance in producing high quality and influential analysis.
· Evidence of relevant expertise in sub-Saharan Africa.
· Willingness to broaden this expertise to be able to cover wider set of issues related to sub-Saharan Africa, including relations with the UAE.
· Excellent written English. Fluency in written and spoken Arabic is highly desirable.
· Strong, clear, and effective written and oral communication skills, including an understanding of how to convey information and ideas to senior government officials, as well as to students.
· Evidence of strong pedagogical skills.
· An innovative approach to analyzing and communicating information and ideas.
· Affinity with the foreign policy goals of the United Arab Emirates.
· Ability to work in an environment dealing with sensitive information.
· Flexibility, and willingness to adapt to evolving needs and priorities.
· Passionate about analysis being impactful and relevant to the needs of government.
· An appreciation for the mission and culture of the Academy.
· Strong team player, with a keen interest in collaborating to ensure the success of the EDA.
4. Application process
– Statement of interest (brief)
– Copy of recent course evaluations
– Sample of publications
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the HR Department and be invited to interview.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the required duties, responsibilities and job specifications / requirements