The Center for Asian and African Studies (CEAA) of El Colegio de México is issuing a call for applicants (meeting the requirements outlined in this document) for a full-time position as Professor-Researcher in its Middle East and North Africa studies program.
We seek a candidate able to teach courses in the social, political, cultural, and economic history of the Islamic world, from its origins to the times of the Gunpowder Empires (i.e. to the end of the 18th century C. E./beginning of the 13th century H.), and who has a research capacity in this field.
1) Doctorate with focus on the history of the Islamic world or related fields.
2) Teaching experience and publications in academic presses with high standing
3) Mastery of Arabic, and, ideally, another language of the region
4) In the case of non-Mexicans, mastery of Spanish or willingness to learn it within a maximum of two years. (During those two years, courses can be given in English or French.)
5) Willingness to fulfill normal requirements of teaching, research, thesis advising, and academic-administrative duties
The primary responsibilities of the successful candidate will be to teach history courses (as defined above) required by the program of studies in Middle East and North Africa of the Center of Asian and African Studies, and other courses as needed by the Center; to conduct research on one of the thematic areas specified in the profile; and to participate in other activities of the Center—in particular, to direct research projects by post-graduate students.
The following documents should be sent by February 28, 2018 to the Director of the Center for Asian and African Studies (CEAA), (El Colegio de México, Carretera Picacho Ajusco 20, Col. Ampliación Fuentes del Pedregal, C.P. 14110, Mexico City, Mexico) or by e-mail (email@example.com):
1. A complete CV including documentation of identity and of academic grades. (Other documents may be requested later).
2. A project of teaching and research for three years (15-page maximum)
3. A letter of application
4. Two letters of recommendation addressing the candidate’s academic production and its importance for the field
5. Publications (preferably in PDF format)
The period for receiving applications and supporting documents will be from Dec. 1, 2017 to Feb. 28, 2018.
CEAA may extend the period of applications if it is deemed necessary.
A Selection Committee will be formed to evaluate each application and create a short-list from which the final candidate will be chosen. If the committee deems it relevant, it will invite candidates to interviews and/or to give public talks.
Candidates selected for the shortlist will be asked to present original documentation and any other documents which the Committee considers necessary. The candidate will receive formal acknowledgement of receipt of documents.
Once a choice is made, the decision will be final.
For more information, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (+5255) 5449-3025.