The Center for the Study of Islam and Democracy (CSID), a non-profit non-governmental organization that works to support and promote democracy around the world, seeks a Program Officer for the Tunisia and North Africa team. This position is based in Tunis, Tunisia.
Position Summary: The Program Officer will work with CSID staff and volunteers to provide programmatic support to CSID Tunisia and North Africa programs, develop the CSID’s strategy for the region, set programmatic priorities, monitor, implement, and evaluate projects, and track program budgets.
- Writing and Submitting grant proposals and progress reports in specific countries;
- Drafting summaries of project activities and proposals to present at quarterly Board of Directors’ meetings;
- Maintaining regular communications with potential and existing local and international organizations and donors;
- Attending relevant internal and external meetings;
- Building and maintaining relationships with like-minded organizations, including donors, partners and regional organizations.
- Organizing and participating in events to highlight specific democracy-related issues, and facilitating transitions to democracy in Tunisia, Libya, and Egypt.
- The Program Officer implements specific CSID-designed programs and plays a central role in the design and development of new programmatic efforts aimed at adult and young audiences.
- Duties include marketing and outreach for programs under their supervision, organization and facilitation of training sessions, and serving as the main liaison with many program partners and consultants.
- Also responsible for all aspects of program administration including application review, coordination with program host sites and facilitators, program evaluation and reporting.
- Provides support for CSID communication and fundraising efforts.
- Does program-related database entry and reports.
- Represents the CSID at meetings and events around the country and the region; travel is considered an important part of the position’s responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in International Affairs, Political Science, International Development or related discipline;
- At least 2-5 years of extensive experience in democracy, human rights, and NGO related work;
- In-depth understanding of political issues and trends in Tunisia and the North Africa region;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in Arabic, English, and French;
- MS Office skills; Generally excellent computer skills;
- High degree of organization and initiative;
- Experience developing and facilitating civic engagement and discussion-based public programming.
- Experience supporting communication and fundraising efforts for public programs.
- Excellent organizational, planning, and communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently.
- Ability to work as part of a team and pitch-in on a range of projects.
This position is available immediately. Starting Salary: 1,200 Tunisian Dinars, plus benefits.
To Apply: Applications must include a cover letter, resume, salary history and requirements, and contact information for three references. Please send to email@example.com with your name and “Program Officer, Tunisia & North Africa” in the subject line, as we have multiple positions open. Deadline for submitting applications is June 6, 2012. Only those offered interviews will be contacted. No phone calls, please.