The Center for International Learning (CIL) is recruiting for the position of Academic Director of its study abroad program for the coming academic year. The selected candidate will come on board in mid-July to early August, and will work on our campus in Muscat, capital city of the Sultanate of Oman.
CIL is an American-Omani educational institution that provides semester-long study abroad programs for students coming mainly from U.S. colleges and universities, but also from Europe and Japan. We also offer intensive Arabic language programs at all levels (both individual and group), and programs to help students and professionals hone skills in leadership, critical thinking and program management. Until recently our staff was with World Learning/SIT, but as of May 1 the Center became an independent organization. We offer the same programs on the same campus, and all members of the staff continue on, including our renowned Arabic language instructors who teach more than 225 students each year.
Required Education and Experience: The Academic Director must have a Master’s degree, and preferably a Ph.D in relevant fields pertaining to the political economy and culture of the Middle East and/or the Gulf. Advanced Arabic language competency is desirable, although a quick learner currently with Intermediate abilities will be considered if other skills are strong.
Previous teaching experience is strongly desired, preferably with university undergraduates. The position also requires someone with strong scholarly knowledge of Oman and/or the Gulf and the ability to interest and interact with students on a daily basis. Additional desired skills and experience include management ability, experience in planning and organizing, a love of learning, a sense of humor, and the capacity to work in a leadership capacity as part of a team.
Roles of the Academic Director (AD): Our study abroad program in Oman is on the semester model, running fifteen weeks from early September through mid December, and from late January through mid-May. The AD will hold an annual ten-month contract, and his/her responsibilities will include the following:
- Full development and implementation of the curriculum and other scholarly components of the program, Oman: Managing Modernity, Translating Traditions,
- Recruiting visiting lecturers (mostly locally) for course modules,
- Teaching modules and facilitating workshops and discussions,
- Overseeing all academic planning for each semester, including group trips and excursions,
- Providing an orientation week to familiarize students with Muscat, as well as cultural traditions of relevance, including dress and behavioral expectations while guests in Oman,
- Overseeing the health and safety of students while in residence,
- Managing all student and program logistics, and interfacing with other CIL staff as well as U.S., Omani and other institutions, and
- Evaluating the academic progress of each student, and providing (as needed by sending institutions) written evaluations and/or letter grades.
Please forward resumes to AcademicDirector@omancenter.org.
Also, visit our website at www.omancenter.org.