Brown University is seeking an Associate Director, Middle East Studies to provide critical leadership and direction in support of programmatic initiatives, strategic growth and curricular development of Middle East Studies.
Brown University, located in historic Providence, Rhode Island is seeking an Associate Director, Middle East Studies to provide critical leadership and direction in support of programmatic initiatives, strategic growth and curricular development of Middle East Studies, including an interdisciplinary undergraduate concentration and its related research and instructional activities. In conjunction with the faculty director, the incumbent will create, design, and oversee innovative and long-term development of the concentration, while also teaching one to two courses per year and serving as a student advisor.
Additional responsibilities include:
- serve as a principle liaison to faculty, students, and administrators across the University and represent the program on selected University committees.
- cultivate and coordinate relations with similar programs in other universities, and with scholars and academic institutions nationally and internationally.
- participate in the development of outreach initiatives, including advancement and fund raising, program events, grant writing, web design, supporting visiting professors and Post-Docs, and the -creation of promotional materials.
- Master’s Degree required in the area of Middle East studies or related field with doctorate preferred, plus knowledge of one Middle East language, preferably Arabic
- Five years academic experience in the combined areas of administration, teaching and research
- Ability to understand and operate in a complex campus environment and to create collaborative networks across multiple constituencies
- Demonstrated capacity for management and project oversight
- Ability to participate in analysis/evaluation, strategic planning and high level leadership team work
- Capacity to collaborate with, serve, and guide a range of experts, from faculty to peers to area experts
- Proven ability to work independently and as a team member
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Ability to use technology and institutional databases and learn new software as needed, including desktop publishing
- Ability to organize and sustain international collaborative initiatives with individual scholars and institutions
Contact: If you are interested in this exciting opportunity to contribute to Brown’s expansion of the Middle East studies program, please visit our career opportunities website to apply at http://careers.brown.edu and reference position F01443. Brown University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Closing Date: 08/15/2012